Monday, December 14, 2009
Chocolate Box Cookies
1 ½ C. flour
¼ C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp apple pie spice
¼ C. unsalted butter, at room temp, diced
¼ C. sugar
1 egg yolk
For the decoration
5 oz milk chocolate
5 oz white chocolate
3 ¼ oz semisweet chocolate
Almonds or walnuts (optional)
Cocoa powder (optional)
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets.
2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, spice and butter into a food processor. Processes until the ingredients are thoroughly blended. Add the sugar, egg and egg yolk and mix to smooth dough. (I use my mixer to blend ingredients, use my hands to make sure it was thoroughly done. Add the other ingredients, mix. Then, I get the hook or kneader for the mixer and let that make smooth dough. It takes a bit.)
3. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Cut the dough in half and roll out each piece under the palms of your hands to form tow long logs, each around 13 inches long.
4. Cut each log into ½ inch slices. Place the slices on the prepared baking sheet, spacing slightly apart and chill for at least 30 minutes.
5. Bake for 10 minutes until slightly risen. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. To decorate, melt the chocolates over simmering water. Dip cookies into them. Be creative on decorating! Top some with powered sugar, some with cocoa powder and some with almonds.