Monday, January 9, 2012

New Year-New Theme

Last year on the radio I heard a challenge to choose a word to be your theme for the year. After a month of thinking and praying about it I settled on the word hope. I tried to find a good definition of it. I tried to focus on what I was putting my hope in. I tend to feel hopeless, so I tried to spend the year countering those feelings with God's truth. Our pastor at family camp defined hope as not just having a desire for God to do something, but also expecting Him to do it. That rocked my world. I quickly realized I wasn't expecting God to really do great things in my life. Don't get me wrong. I know that he can. I just wasn't expecting Him to.

Boy did my life change when I started expecting Him to show up. I put my hope in that I would find some healing here on earth. He lead me to a new chiropractor that did some allergy testing. I eliminated some things from my diet, and started treatments for my allergies I didn't realize I had. I have overall felt much better. I still have pain, and some flares, but they don't seem as bad. I feel my mood has also improved from all the changes and treatments.

I put my hope in the fact that He would transform my discontented heart at church. I was happy, but something just felt off. He brought us into a new season being missionaries in our town. Now, we serve at Kaleo Community Church.

Now, it is a new year. That means I need a new word or theme for the year. After searching my heart I realize my focus needs to be on transforming. I want my heart, soul and mind transformed into more of Christ's likeness. I'm not happy being like I am. I know He wants more of me. I want Him to do like the song says, "consume from the inside out". God wants to transform us. I want all my insecurities transformed into faith in my heavenly Father.

There are so many things I truly want transformed. I want my quiet time transformed. I want my marriage to be transformed. I want my family transformed. I want my relationships with my family and friends transformed. I desire greatness! None of these relationships are bad. Please do not misunderstand. I don't want to settle for good, when God can transform these things to greatness!

So, I am coupling last year's theme with this year's. I have the desire, and I expect God to use this year to transform all aspects of my life.

What is your theme for 2012? What do you want God to do in your life? I would love to know what word is going to be your focus for the year.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! This has been my theme for a few months now...I don't run on the regular calender I guess! But here they are...those verses that challenge, change, and transform us!

    Romans 12:1-2
    1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

    2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been choosing a word each year since 2008.
    You can check them out here :-)
    http://www.amberandstephen.com/amber/?cat=30

    I haven't posted my words this year but I have chosen Peace & Trust.
    May the God of hope fill you with all joy and PEACE as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with joy by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a couple of more to check out from my time with HIM today!

    2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

    4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

    5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

    Proverbs 16:3
    3Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this challenge!
    thank you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete